Thursday, March 5, 2009

Random Stories

Here are a bunch of random and amusing things that don't really fit into a category...

-Yesterday Tim had a kid tell him that he had a really good reason why he had to miss soccer practice. Tim asked what it was. He said he had a terrible blister. Tim said that because of the blister he didn't have to run, but he still needed to come to practice. The kid said, "Well actually I have something going on at 4 today." Tim asked what that might be. After beating around the bush, the kid said "I have to pick up my Play Station. It was in the shop and is going to be ready today at 4." Needless to say, Tim didn't excuse him from practice:)

-Yesterday in Turkish class I was listening to the teacher explain a new vocabulary word. I was translating what she said into English in my head. I felt like I was doing well until my translation came out like this, "The police here in Ankara use police wolves." Hmmm... something got a little lost in translation:)

-Often when we go to the gas station, we leave with a gift. I kid you not. Just for buying gas, the attendant will come out with a gift for you. Currently we have gotten a salad bowl, wet wipes, and lightbulbs. Can't wait til our tank is empty so we see what we get next:)

-Apparently people here enjoy savory breakfasts. My teacher asked me the other day (in Turkish) what I eat for breakfast. I said, "Ben cereal yiyorum." She shook her head not knowing what "cereal" was. "Oatmeal," "waffles," (I didn't say bacon-our commissary is probably the only place you can get pork in the whole country-my Filippino friend begs me to bring her some bacon)...no response. She seemed to get frustrated and moved onto someone who ate a more "normal" breakfast- "normal" being tomatoes, cheese, and olives. Everyone said olives. What the heck? I refuse to be labeled as the weird one because I don't eat olives for breakfast!

-When I got frustrated the other day in class and couldn't think of a word, I said "shoot!" The whole class laughed and gasped (probably thinking it was a bad word). I said, "It's not a bad word! It's not a bad word!"

-Today in class we had to list as many Turkish words as we could in 2 minutes using the letters on the board. When time was up, we checked each others' papers, tallying the number of points each person got. I was checking the marriage proposal guy's paper. I don't know if it was a Freudian slip or what but this guy wrote the word for "my wife" and "Kate" was below it. That's Mrs. Kate to you, bub!

That's all for now! Gule Gule! (That means good-bye, but there should be 2 dots over each u. I don't have that feature on my keyboard:)

No comments:

Post a Comment