Friday, March 6, 2009

Guest Writer: Tim

I made my own blog a year-and-a-half ago, but I only made it so I could read my sister's blog. I never published anything on mine, so I am no expert at this but will do my best.
Kate and I went to a nearby restaurant on Thursday night for Iskender (roasted meat on top of bread with tomato sauce finished-off with a pint of hot, melted butter). They were out of Iskender, so we got the grilled chicken...our arteries thanked us. Kate may have mentioned this restaurant to you as Digiridoo Kebap...it's real name is Dicle Kebap.
But, that is not the point of this blog entry. The first time I took her to Dicle, we had to point at the rings on our fingers and act out our marriage ceremony to explain our version of "Me Tarzan; She Tarzan Redden, now" to the restaraunt manager, Kadir. This last visit was totally different. Kate chatted away with Kadir. I was very impressed to say the least. Not to mention, Turkish sounds very attractive coming from Kate!!!
The bottomline: whatever difficulty with learning Turkish Kate tells you about, should be put in the context: I (Tim) have been a regular at Dicle Kebap for over a year but didn't know the manager's name until my wife asked him last week. I didn't know he has a brother in Dallas. He didn't know anything about me--except what I could pantomime. Now, I know lots about him! Next up for my wife: maybe Kate can start asking the restaurant what is in all of the dishes I have been blindly consuming. Actually, I may not want to know. :)
Come and visit us...Kate will amaze you, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment