Wednesday, March 18, 2009

More Randomness

-There are red-headed Turks! There are even blonde Turks and some with green and blue eyes! The Turkish people who live by the Black Sea are usually blonde. Let's face it,though, most Turks have dark hair and dark eyes, which means I can't hide in a crowd!

-Every store you go in has a picture of Ataturk, the man who gave Turks last names, increased the literacy rate by a huge percentage, moved the capital to Ankara, and did many, many other things to make Turkey a more progressive country. When I say every store, I mean pharmacies, grocery stores, the mall, everywhere! Not to mention that there are pictures and statues of Ataturk all over the city. At the mall the other day I saw an office supply store that, in addition to selling paper, pens, pencils, staplers, etc., they also sold pictures of Ataturk for the office. If you get a chance, google Ataturk. He's pretty interesting. His daughter was even one of the first women fighter pilots!

-The sidewalks (as I think I've mentioned) are horrible here. I'm going to bite it soon in a public place, I just know it. It almost happened twice yesterday. Why do I feel the need to wear the small pointy heeled boots?? Partly, because I think in addition to the blonde hair, the Addidas would give me away too:) As I was maneuvering the obstacle course that is a Turkish sidewalk yesterday, I was wondering how on earth a sidewalk could look as if it had gone through an earthquake. We're talking deep holes, huge cracks, sidewalk tiles at crazy angles. As I almost fell yet again, I wondered what on earth could cause a sidewalk to look like that. And then a huge truck drove right up on the sidewalk (this is in the middle of the city, remember) and parked. And that answered my question. And why wouldn't a huge truck drive on a sidewalk?

-As I got into the taxi last week, the mayor was getting in his car, a few feet away from me. I however, did not have security guys with the huge guns guarding me.

-Today I had to go down to the Turkish police station (a huge place!!) to get my residence card. There is a Turkish lady who helps all the Americans with the paperwork and translates at the police station. I met her at the dept. of defense building this morning and we were driven in a very, very nice car by a guy in a very expensive looking suit, sunglasses, and a small earpiece. I felt like I was very important person or maybe in an episode of "24" (we have "24" on the brain because we're watching season 1 on dvd-addiction!!! I find that I'm much more suspicious these days because of it!) Turns out Tim and I owe Turkey 75 Turkish Lira as penalty for not letting the Turkish government know that we got married (you're supposed to let them know 15 days after the date). Apparently, our Turkish helper didn't even know about this policy and said it was new to her (and she goes down there every week). I might have rolled my eyes a little at the man who was "helping" us and insisting that we needed to pay this. Things can be very subjective, to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment