Monday, October 26, 2009

Friends, Family, Fireflies, and Songs

Good Morning all. It's a beautiful fall morning. I'm sitting at the table, looking out into the valley, looking into God's creation and listening to Sara Groves new cd, Fireflies and Songs. The vines that wrap around and climb our apartment building have turned a beautiful shade of fiery red. The roses are still in bloom. The sky is a beautiful blue and even makes the uglier apartment buildings look almost pretty against it. It is a quiet morning-no subbing for me. Just a chance to reflect on this beauty and God's encouragement and care.
My friend Micah called this morning. She is coming in a few weeks (from Montenegro) and I'm incredibly excited about that!!! I'm looking forward to a wonderful time of talking for hours over coffee (which, by the way, my friend Rebecca sent a great recipe for a pumpkin latte you can make in the crock pot!), walking around Ankara, and reconnecting with my dear friend. Right before Micah called, Sara Groves sang a song about peopel in our lives who make our lives "half as bad and twice as good." That has been incredibly true for me and this morning, I'm thankful for my friends and family and what they mean to me.
Sara Groves' new album was sent to me via Jill. I cannot put into words what a gift that was. Jill and I have bonded greatly over many a Sara Groves song-nodding our heads in agreement with her, harmonizing together and weeping as she touches the deepest part of us with her truthful and encouraging words.
It's funny how God knows how to comfort us or encourage us when we need it. I have been missing my friends and family terribly this week. Living overseas is exotic and an adventure, but it can be lonely sometimes, being so far from people you love. Poor Tim has had to endure a more emotional Kate this week (I'd like to add that he handles it incredibly well-knowing when to pass me a kleenex or make a joke). I am so thankful this morning for Jill sending me this music, for Micah calling me this morning, for Rebecca sending me a recipe for something she knows I will love, for talking to Rebecca (Tim's sister) last night and getting an update on Parker, for talking to my mom yesterday about everything I could think of, for emails from my brothers and sister-in-law (who said she missed hanging out with me), for emails from my dad that are both touching and hilarious, for Tim's mom sending us an old letter that his Granny sent him and his siblings when they were young (complete with illustrations), and for both our families checking in on us via email or phone just to see how we are doing. All these things are a blessing and encourage us as we go about our day. Thanks for making our lives "half as bad and twice as good." Love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment