Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Here Piggy, Piggy, Piggy

Enough of my sappy posts...time for the Ankara news. Well, swine flu has hit us (and yes it does affect places where pork is not eaten:). Several of the other international schools here got swine flu before us and were promptly shut down. We had our first 2 cases (and so far the only ones) of it last week. There was quite a buzz around school. Some students were completely freaked out in the hallways and I found myself being the reassurer. Other students were still drinking from each other's water bottles and giving big kisses on the cheek and I found myself being the enforcer. Some of the embassies kept their healthy kids home because of fear of contracting the flu. Others took it in stride.
So, as of this week we are the only school that is open in the city of Ankara. Every other school has been shut down for the week (even schools without any swine flu). But, we are trudging along. Our kids are the only ones at bus stops in the morning. Our kids aren't on the basketball court at 11 a.m. or running around their apartments like crazy at 1 p.m. Nope, they are in algebra or art, chemistry or chorus. And all the while we are hoping none else gets this swine flu.
I think I'll go wash my hands now...:)

No comments:

Post a Comment