Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Lessons from Phil

Alright, everyone. I couldn't stay away from the sappy blogs for too long:) My dad emailed me this a few weeks ago. I think it is worth posting, as it reminds us all, to "put in in the bag." You'll see what I mean....

As Alan (our pastor) has begun a series on fear, I wanted to share a story from last week about my “special” friends, Phil and James. I need to give you a little background on them first. As most of you know, Phil and James are regular attendees. They both have some mental illness. I don’t know what their diagnosis is and they are both in the Loudoun County social services system.

Phil often tells me how much he enjoys worship on his way to Church. They give offerings to God as the plate is passed. Phil is very proactive during the services, clapping and raising his hands and making some beautiful sounds during the worship songs that only God understands. He is the one with the full beard, affectionately called Sasquatch by his friend and roommate, James. He will often come up to you and say “no more Mormon” if you can understand what he is saying. He went to their Church for awhile. Reiff baptized him several months ago in one of our services. He came out of the water with a thumbs up sign and you all clapped for him.

James was up front with me to light Phil’s candle during the Baptism. I specifically told him to not touch the matches and that I would light Phil’s candle. James proceeds to pick up the lighter and try to light all the candles that were unlit. I quickly panicked and told him to put the lighter down and surprisingly enough he listened. Never a dull moment. James is less demonstrative during the service. He sits quietly during the service and claps during the songs. He worked for Luck Stone for 15 years?, I think, before getting laid off a year ago. He is yet to find work.

I never really know what either one of them comprehends from the message. Alan’s message on fear Sunday was not discussed on the way home. We came back to the picnic which they thoroughly enjoyed. They both talk about their family here at this Church and how many friends they have here. On the way home from the picnic, James is asking me whether he will ever find work and will I take him in if he can’t afford his apartment. Phil is sitting in the back seat humming something. He hears our conversation up front and says something which I cannot interpret. He repeats it again twice and I still cannot understand what he is saying. He gets a little frustrated with me and tells James to interpret for me. That’s funny because I can hardly understand James either some times. James finally says, Phil says to “put it in the bag.”

I say what is it and what bag? Upon saying this, I immediately understood what he was saying. Alan’s sermon was about putting your fears in the bag and lifting your requests before God (Jame’s unemployment). After this, Phil says to James in a very optimistic, encouraging way, that God will take care of him. Isn’t that amazing? What an encouragement to me. God talks about coming to him with a childlike faith, like Phil. He understood exactly what God was saying thru Alan. What about you? What are the fears that keep you from being all that God intended you to be thru his Son, Jesus Christ. I look forward to this sermon series from Alan and the practical application demonstrated by our brother in Christ, Phil. Also, would you pray for a job for James.

Hope that is an encouragement to you today. Put it all in the bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment