Friday, February 6, 2009

You've Got the Crystals!!!

I was talking to my dear friend Jill this morning (for like 4 hours) and I was telling her about my first couple days in The Turkei and realized I had not shared this particular story on the blog.

Right before we left Munich to come to Turkey, I got an extreme case of vertigo. One minute I was laying down, the next minute the room was spinning out of control, so much so that I couldn't catch my breath for a minute.
The vertigo continued through our last day in Munich and through the first couple days in Turkey. Since the vertigo was worse when I layed down and turned my head to the left or right, I had many sleepless nights. I sat up against the headboard, being as still as possible so as to not awaken the vertigo.
When I went to visit Tim's school for the first time, he mentioned to some of the teachers that I was suffering from this terribly dizzyness and asked if they recommended a doctor. One of the teachers piped up and said, "Oh I had that. The crystals. You have the crystals." I'm maintaining a thoughtful, serious look on my face, while thinking "What the heck? What's next? I have to drink monkey blood to cure it?"
They made an appointment for me with an ear, nose, and throat doctor at the local hospital. Tim couldn't go with me and so he and the other teacher gave me specific directions. Walk off the base, get a taxi right outside the base, and say "Mesa Hospital." Sounded easy enough and to people who'd been here awhile, it was no big deal. But, as I walked past the soldiers in camouflage with stern looks and machine guns, it didn't seem so easy. As I tried to keep straight how to deal with Turkish money and a new cell phone, it didn't seem easy. As we got further away from the base, lost among high towers, fruit stands, and apartment building after apartment building, it didn't seem easy. My heart beat fast and I felt very far from home, not to mention very dizzy.
But, I ended up at the hospital and not in a Turkish jail, so things went well. Then, the receptionist asked me for my address and phone number. I had no idea. I felt very helpless. We finally got it sorted out and I was ushered back to the doctor, a very kind, fatherly-looking gentleman. After asking me some questions and doing some vertigo and tear-inducing examining, he said something to the effect of, "I think you have crystals." Again to myself, "What the heck?! I thought you had a medical degree. Just what kind of operation are you running here?" Just when I thought he was about to write a prescription for the monkey blood, he went on to tell me the more scientific name and explain my condition. Ok, that sounded more like it. I can't tell you that name, though, because "crystals" has stuck. Everyone has these "crystals" or stones, but for some reason mine were out of place. The cure? Exercises of moving my head back and forth side to side, and following my pointer finger with my eyes. I did it 3 times a day for 3 days, and quicker than you can say, "I have Turkish ear crystals," they were gone! I've been fine ever since, not to mention I have every confidence that the doctors here are just as good as in the States. Matter of fact, this doctor spent more time with me and explained things better than many doctors I've been to in the States.
It's funny to write this story now after having been here for over a month now. My heart will always beat a little faster when I step out of my door and adventure into Turkey, but I have come a long way since that first taxi ride. With each day I become more independent, comfortable, and confident. Not to mention I ride in a taxi like a pro. and have a great sense of balance again:)

1 comment:

  1. Its called BPPV, I had it after the horse threw me off!

    ReplyDelete