Friday, January 23, 2009

Observations and Random Thoughts

My back is a bit sore this morning. I think it's from sitting through so many basketball games the last couple days. I told Tim that for Valentine's Day, I wanted one of those seats you can use in the bleachers:) Today is, thankfully, the last day of the tournament. Looks like it's going to come down to the team from the other American base school (Incrilik) and one of the Turkish teams. It should be a very good game.
I told Tim last night that I wish I was an anthropology major. Sitting at so many basketball games in the last couple days, I have had plenty of time observe people and human behavior. The lady behind me said that since my husband is the Athletic Director I should take up knitting (because I sit through so many games), but I'm quite content just to watch others. Not to mention I'm terrible at knitting.
At this tournament, you've got people from all backgrounds, countries, ages, and religions-all united by basketball, of all things. Here are things that were of interest to me:

-the girl who played for her Pakastani school team with a full head covering on-she was good!

-I wondered what the non-Americans think of American cheerleaders. It's probably got to be
somewhat odd to them. On the one hand, you have a girl with a head covering on and on the other, you have girls that have very little covering on. Talk about contrasts.

-No matter what country or religious background anyone is from, everyone acts similarly during sporting games: smiles and fist pumps over made baskets, grimaces over a stolen ball, coaches arguing with the refs, coaches yelling at their players, coaches patting their players on the back, fans backing their team. Turks, Americans, Pakistanis, Koreans...doesn't matter. Everyone acts the same.

-Also, despite backgrounds, high schoolers act the same. Girls walking around, flirting, looking around to see who's looking at them; boys eyes following a cute girl who walks by; kids divided into groups by level of "coolness," some desperately trying to cross over into a higher level group; the kid with glasses being made fun of; love of pizza and burgers and fries; kids with attitudes who talk back to their coach or chaperone.... It is funny to watch all of this from a distance and realize teenagers are the same no matter where they're from.

Well, it is about time to me to head over to the tournament, watch some more basketball and interesting interactions, and be reminded why I teach elementary school:)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kate! I was so confused until I read this blog. So I guess you aren't in VA anymore, huh? :-) Hope you and Tim are doing well in Turkey! Whats the story behind it, and are you guys coming back to the states in a bit? In any event, it looks like you are having a great time, and I wish you the best overseas. Take care, Christine

    ReplyDelete